Monday, October 1, 2012

Bulusan's strong folk religiosity




Religious occasions like fiestas are good days for buying items like novena prayer booklets, handkerchiefs with religious images/prayers and rosaries in Bulusan. The vendors usually make these items available in  makeshift stalls located near the church yard.

Bulusan has a strong Catholic tradition that dates back to the Spanish colonial period. The Parroqia being founded year 1630 is one of the four oldest towns in the province of Sorsogon.

I used to have the San Benito bronze medallion with me to ward off bad spirits. These were the times when a friend of mine was struggling from a disease and I can only watch helplessly in the process. San Benito medal acted as a security blanket in some strange ways.

Today, I still have this habit of checking these items and asking the vendor what are the available novena booklets and checking the folkloric designs of the bronze medallions and some 'agimat' (amulet/talisman) looking items.

In this year's Bulusan town fiesta, the Saint James the Greater novenas were all sold out attesting to the town's devotion and love  for the saint. No hurry though, I can have my copy of the novena next fiesta. I am a regular resident now of this truly awesome town.

Bulusan, Sorsogon, Philippines


No comments:

Post a Comment